Saturday, September 11, 2010

Strangeland

I met the new neighbors today. I talked to the guy Jason. He still acts like a teenager even though he has three kids, anyway. He was highly surprised at my music taste. When I mentioned going to see Sir Paul, Roger Waters, Eric Clapton and The Eagles he said this, "WOW. Thats really different music taste for someone your age."
I went on to tell him Green Day is my favorite band. How I enjoy going to see musicals on Broadway, and have friends (shout out to Cate btw) that influence me with them and show me how to appreciate them correctly.
He was kind of shocked. He told me how he doesnt know to many kids my age that have that musical taste anymore.

It kind of pissed me off...because its true. My friends are the only ones who are like this. Like in computer concepts we had to organize three bands and three songs. I heard people behind me talking. "I have Journey, Eminem, and T Pain. I cant really think of anyone else"
Are you kidding me? Really? I was sitting there tearing myself up for this simple assignment trying to decide which bands I wanted to choose. And you cant think of anyone else so you add T Pain? Really?

Its going to be impossible to find someone Im compatable with. Because personality is really important to me, but music is just as important. I need to be able to have stimulating musical debates on what Beatles song actually should be number one on some Rolling Stone list. Or which Doors album is better Soft Parade or LA Woman and the greatness that is Jim Morrisons twisted mind. I need someone to understand that when Im listening to Green Day Im having a moment and probably not fully aware of anyone else around, unless were discussing what the song or lyrics means to us in particular. That I like to sit at a musical and analyze what was going through the persons head when they came up with this idea or what the song is actually about or how amazing this persons voice is and wondering what they feel like singing it.
I dont know where Im going to find this person. I suppose that Im just spoiled seeing my parents do things similar to this all my life.
Because the people im stuck with knowing are ones who ask who Paul McCartney is. Or who listen to music but dont listen. Their not captivated by word choice or instrumentals.

I need to go to a music enthusiast class where people meet and discuss music...maybe I should form one of these or something, otherwise I doubt Ill ever come across this.
So basically I suppose Im destined to be married to my music.

No comments:

Post a Comment