Sunday, January 17, 2010

Home.

I love the smell on my clothes after coming home from my Maw and Pappios.
Our coats smell like the wood fire from hanging in the basement above the fire box and our clothes hold the strong scent of whatever food my grandma cooks that day.
Today's smell is roast beef with a small hint of fresh rolls.

In all honesty I love their home. I hope one day I get to live there. Its so homey...stable.
I guess that's what its always been to me. A constant. It never changed.
Everyone knows that the slippers are in the downstairs bedroom on the left side of the wardrobe.
Everyone knows you cant hold the flusher down on the toilet to long or it'll run. And that the hot and cold water handles are flipped in the bathroom.

I love sitting on the glider and looking out into the massive yard that leads into the woods. Seeing the cars come down the huge hill on the other side of Wilkinsons nursery.

Summer consists of dodging walnuts on the deck that fall from the massive tree shading it.
I miss the pool that used to sit at the only flat part of the yard, where as the swing set was on the mini slope of the hill.
Sarah and I would always jump off the swings and dodge the poolside.
Easter egg hunts where we would hide in the massive walnut tree to see where all the eggs were from an aerial view.
Christmas where you can see the tree light from the road on your way in.

Skateboarding. Jumping in leaves. Playing upstairs in the spair bedrooms. Throwing a frisbee on the roof and my uncle Brian getting stuck in the window in the hall to get it out.
Sitting in the upstairs bathroom with the door closed maintaining the smell of soaps and fresh towels with the heater vent open.
The old books in the thin hallway, with old pictures of family members.

It just feels so much like home already.

No comments:

Post a Comment